Tape, keratin and beads hair extensions are the most popular and widely used type of extension today. Their versatility, natural appearance and availability can add length, volume to your hair. As with all kinds of extensions, you have to make sure you know how to take care of hair extensions so that they can last as long as possible and remain healthy and beautiful. We at Beauty Locks Hair Extensions would love to share tips for extensions care that will help you to get the most out of your hair extension.
How Do You Make Hair Extensions Last Longer?
It is best to have a routine for taking care of your hair, it will be much easier to make sure that hair extensions last longer and look great. Here are some basic hair care tips for extensions to make sure your investment lasts as long as possible:
- Wash your hair at least twice a week in a shower. Never wash your hair up side down while bending over the sink or tub. Always use professional high quality shampoo.
- Treat with a deep conditioner once or twice per week. If you can’t find the time for deep conditioning, it’s best to use a leave-in conditioner with protein. Protein will help prevent breakage and keep your hair strong.
- Use low heat setting when straightening or curling your hair extension to avoid damaging them over time.
- Brush your hair extensions carefully starting from eds and going all the way up. Use special detangling brush that will prevent hair breakage.
- Never sleep with wet hair. Always brush your hair after wash to prevent tangling.
How Often Can I Wash My Hair?
Always follow your normal routine while having hair extensions. But keep in mind that washing your hair too much will lower the lifespan of hair extension. Always wash your human hair extensions when you noticed an excessive build-up of residue or biproducts near the roots. We recommend customers to wash hair extensions about twice per weeks.
How Do You Sleep With Hair Extensions?
We also recommend to have a routing for your hair extensions before you go to bed. It is best to put your hair extensions in a protective braid and slip it into a satin scarf before going to bed at night. Satin scarfs aren’t absorbent, so your hair extension will retain the nourishing natural oils already present.
How Do I Moisturise My Extensions?
You can easily find appropriate moisturizing products for your hair extension in professional salons. We advise that you use a leave-in conditioner or daily moisturizer. Try to use moisture-based shampoo in your hair extension maintenance routine.
Do’s and Don’ts of Hair Extensions
These do’s and don’ts contribute greatly to your hair extension maintenance.
- Always use a shampoo that matches your hair type recommended by your professional stylist.
- Your brushing should always start at the ends before walking your way to the roots of the extension.
- Always use natural hair products on your extensions.
- When going for a swim, remember to wear a swim cap to protect your hair from the salt in the water.
- Brush your hair and loosely braid them before going to bed each night.
- Don’t leave home without a detangling brush to keep your hair tangle-free.
- Don’t use excess heat on your hair extensions.
- Don’t use hair sprays excessively
- Don’t DIY when it comes to hair coloring.
- Don’t go a day without brushing the base of your hair extensions.
- Don’t brush your hair aggressively as you will damage hair extension bonding.
- Don’t allow your hair to stay dirty with a build-up of products.
Taking care of your hair extensions is not that much different from taking care of your own hair. Always follow a routine, be a bit gentler with your hair and brush regularly. In the end the best way to care for your human hair extensions is to use commos sense and talk to your hair stylist about any issues.